Saturday, 27 February 2010

Like old times :-)

Sharne and I have not had a play day for ages and what fun we had.

We had decided to try our hands at the rust dying technique that Lynda Monk http://purplemissus.blogspot.com/  told us about at EG last week, but the solutions needed to cool before we could get started so we decided to do some printing . We had decided to try our hands at the rust dying technique that Linda Monk told us about at EG last week, but the solutions needed to cool before we could get started so we decided to do some printing.

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that I had admired Jenny Langleys technique and that I had wanted to experiment with that and had made the stitched sample.  Well Jenny then uses this sample to print with using oil paints and a commercial printing press, I don't have access to one of those but Sharne has this marvellous gadget that she uses to make stencils so we used that and got some wonderful results.

 IMG_6022 IMG_6025  IMG_6029 IMG_6030 IMG_6027

By this time our dye baths had cooled, one had tea bags and the other had caustic soda and ferrous sulphate.

Needless to say we did not manage to stick to the instructions but it did not seem to matter, we actually found that we were more pleased with the results if you dipped them twice, sprinkled with salt and  then sprayed them with neat bleach !

Sharne’s son returned home wanting something to eat and thought we had completely lost the plot when he walked into the kitchen to find this……….

IMG_6033IMG_6036

……….instead of his loving Mother slaving over a hot stove!

IMG_6046  IMG_6038   IMG_6042

We found that we had made these wonderful rust like papers, but the rust just sitting on the surface of the tyvek, so the next task was to try and work out how to seal it.

Brushing it with acrylic wax just moved the rust about and you just got a mess with brush strokes in it, then tried hair spray (well it works on charcoal!) but not on this. The eureka, Sharne tried just dabbing the wax on rather than brushing it and it worked.

Because we were doing it in doors and did not have the time or space to leave it to dry naturally, we used hairdryers to hurry the process along.  We both think you will get better results if they are left to cure in their own time.  So a day will need to be pencilled in for the summer.

Thanks Sharne, I have had a great day x

6 comments:

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

I really enjoyed it too- roll on the Summer so that we can do it all again!!!!

dianehobbit said...

Hope we get a summer! A really fantastic motif, I'm looking forward to the development work.

Miriam Weaver said...

I really love the effect of the pig wire, I like the image on the right best, were they both on fabric or is one on paper?

Nickie said...

Hi Miriam, not to good at this blog lark, Sharne is the expert on this!! I imagine that I should be able to send you a message in answer to your question, but dont know who to do it!!!

The one on the right is on paper, it is most definately a technique that I would like to explore further.

take care, and thanks for your nice comments

Nick x

Unknown said...

jianbin0905
instyler ionic styler
giuseppe zanotti shoes
oakley sunglasses sale
coach outlet online
tods outlet
coach outlet
canada goose outlet
fitflops uk
fitflops sale
mac cosmetics sale
mulberry handbags sale
louis vuitton outlet
rolex watches for sale
cheap jordan shoes
longchamp pliage
ugg boots
cheap ugg boots
michael kors handbags
oakley sunglasses
polo ralph lauren outlet
ralph lauren shirts
nba jerseys
fitflops sale clearance
coach outlet online
oakley sunglasses uk
michael kors online
asics
fitflops sale
air max 2015
pandora outlet
ugg boots

Jian Zhuo said...

coach factory outlet online
michael kors purses
pandora charms
cheap ray ban sunglasses
cheap jordan shoes
coach factory outlet online
michael kors outlet online
pandora charms sale clearance
coach outlet online
ralph lauren outlet online
20170415yueqin