Tuesday, 18 October 2016

Fabric and Tissue

New fabric washed out and pressed Tissue painted and ready for printing
Used matte medium to stick tissue images on reverse
Printed random images on tissue
Painted front of tissue with acrylic wax, hopefully this will increase its strength

Monday, 17 October 2016

Dying new fabric

Selection of fabrics in pots, ready for some graduation dying, silks and cottons, various weights I have used 1/2 tsp of lemon yellow and 1/2 tsp of cerulean blue, the mix I used was increments of 3 units. 3-9, 6-6, 9-3
The finished the day off with the last piece of chocolate roulade that I made yesterday

Tuesday, 11 October 2016


The tissue you that I was strengthening with matt medium, became stuck on the plastic - so that was not a good idea. Stitched the other piece to the background and then painted it with acrylic wax, then painted the Plums and Leaves with diluted Golden acrylic. Then stitched around design with cotton thread. Removed white tissue easily (this was the tissue bought for gift wrapping. Tried to stitch around the design again but this started to cut both the top and bottom layers of tissue. Quite happy with it, if I decide to make this piece I will need to dye more fabric and paint tissue with same coloured dyes.

Autumn is upon us

Walk over the fields this morning and the temperature has dropped and a dampness in the air
Collected an Autumn bouquet, will choose some of these to press on silk organza to see if I can get a print from the flowers.

Monday, 10 October 2016

Knit and Stitch

Went to Alexander Palace with Sharne, all very civilised, we decided to go by coach so we could read and crochet our journey away.
The Kemshall Quilt Came away very inspired, liked the simple lines of some of the work, especially Alice Fox's and Christina Ellock
Thought I would put some pieces of old dyed fabric together so that these can be stitched/Embellished (machine) so that I can use them for backgrounds to mount my found objects from the beaches that i have collected over the years, this will make a nice display with the bottles that I am filling with bits from the various beaches.
Also, put togther another background for the Plums, embellished 3 times, front, back and front again
Prepared tissue papers to be stitched on samples, the top one I have painted matt medium onto it to strengthen the tissue.

Friday, 7 October 2016


Over the last few days I have been working on my Plums :-) Have done several samples using different mediums this one is with Colour Soft pencils, like they way they lend, but not dramatic enough. Also think I would like the background to be in soft mauve/greys, this would pick out the mauves in the Plums. Need to dye some fabric, haven't done that for ages..... First of all I stuck the tissue drawing/paint to the background along the branch, wont do this again as glue splodged out and stuck the white tissue to the green background in places. Just put small dabs under each plum to secure in place before stitching next time.
Next I stitched around the outline of the plums, branch and leaves, this time I used a polyester thread and think it was too harsh and it ended up cutting through the bottom layer of tissue as well in places :-( Also, I think I used a different tissue this time to draw design on as it was difficult to tear away from the stitched line. Prepared soft tissue for the next set of experiments.
Remeber - thicker tissue for base and use natural threads to stitch around design.


Must stop buying bargains, because if they are cheap there usually is a reason!!! Saw a very pretty palette of water colour paints and just had to have it..... but they were full of chalk, flat and no pigment..... but they worked great as a base for my pastels and ended up quite happy with the result